12/1/11

Cinderella by Phil Porter

Last night I went to see the play of Cinderella, by Phil Porter in Dundee Rep. It's so amazing that all the children and adults I can see loved it.

There's many things that I can learn from the play.  First is the way it told the story, as written in the website, it recreate the story like this:
Cinderella works all day for her father in a floating retirement home for elderly magicians and their assistants. And when she’s not bailing out the family business, she’s bailing out the water! 
Back on dry land, the Queen announces that a ball will be held to find the dashingly handsome young prince a wife, but Cinderella’s wicked stepsisters are determined to ruin her dream of attending the Royal ball. 
With only the retirement home’s magicians to help her, who will work the magic Cinderella needs to get to the ball?
 I liked it because no matter how the background changed, it still focus on the magic and dreams, just as it said in the play "sometimes all you need is a little magic". Especially, it gave the characters some new dispositions. Cinderella was recreated as a girl no so weak, but still kind-hearted and have a strong sense of responsibility. She didn't go to the ball for the prince, instead she just wanted to be happy and beautiful for just one night. That's more understandable in nowadays. And the prince was someone who want to be "true me" and miss the simple but happy live before becoming a member of  nobility. And obviously, every audience loved its funny details.

For the stage, the play only had 3 scene: the ship(Cinderella's room and the magicians' dinning room), the castle. I think this is really intelligent because this covered the most famous part of the story already. In my project, I will also concentrate on the castle and Cinderella's room.

Another impressive thing I got from the play was to catch the audience's attention by casting a drop of light to a certain character on the stage. I can do it with HTML5, like the example I collected before on Normal Mapping with Javascript and Canvas.

There was one thing that really impressive me after the play. A lady asked her friend how she thought of this show, her friend said "I love it, it's happy, maybe because it's so easy to understand". That reminded once we talked about the definition of animation in  class, we looked back to a lot of early animations of producers such as Disney. Most of they are simple and just make you laugh. Nowadays, the development of technique allow the outcome of animation to have more possibility, but I think there's something that never change. That's take animation as a tool to write out what you see and feel from life, to recreate this into something simple and easy to accept, to help people better understand and pursuit something meaningful.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the Rep they put on some good shows. I think we may need a little bit of magic in the studio before the end of the year! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that why we are looking forward to the Christmas party you posted today~

    ReplyDelete